Using the Sofia Influenza A&B test enables rapid decision making based on accurate results, supporting the clinician to target care appropriately. Cost effective pricing and results comparable with PCR mean that the Sofia is the ideal solution for the urgent care setting.
- Results in 15 minutes
- CLIA Waived
- Nasal swabs included
- Compatible with several brands of transport media
- Can be used in conjunction with the Sofia RSV test from one patient sample
Sofia Influenza A&B FIA Product Specifications
Methodology: Fluorescence Immunoassay
Sensitivity: Nasopharyngeal Swab Flu A 97% Flu B 90%
Specificity: Nasopharyngeal Swab Flu A 95% Flu B 97%
Storage: Room Temperature 15°-30°c
Sofia Influenza A&B Swab Test Procedure
- Verify that the Sofia is set to the desired mode: Walk Away or Read Now.
- Dispense all of the reagent solution into the reagent tube. Gently swirl the reagent tube to dissolve its contents.
- Place the patient swab specimen into the reagent tube. Roll the swab at least three times whilst pressing the head against the bottom and side of the reagent tube.
- Roll the swab head against the inside of the reagent tube as you remove it. Dispose of the used swab as per your local guidelines.
- Fill the provided small, clear fixed volume with patient sample from the reagent tube. To fill the fixed volume pipette with the patient sample:
- Firmly squeeze the top bulb
- Still squeezing, place the pipette tip into the patient sample.
- With the pipette tip still in the patient sample, release pressure on bulb to fill pipette.
- Firmly squeeze the top bulb to empty the contents of the fixed volume pipette into the cassette sample well. Extra liquid in the overflow bulb is ok.
- Note: The fixed volume pipette is designed to collect and dispense the correct amount of liquid sample. Discard the pipette as per your local guidelines.
For Nasopharyngeal aspirate/wash or specimens in Viral Transport Media Test procedures please request the Quick Reference Instructions.
Walk Away Mode
In Walk Away mode, the user immediately inserts the cassette into the Sofia. The user then returns about 15 minutes later to get the test result. In this mode, Sofia will automatically time the test development before scanning and displaying the test result.
Read Now Mode
The user must first place the cassette onto the counter or bench top for 15 minutes (outside of Sofia) and manually time this development step. Then, the user inserts the cassette into Sofia. In Read Now mode, Sofia will scan and display the test result within 1 minute.
Note: Results will remain stable for an additional 15 minutes after the recommended development time of 15 minutes.
Running the Sofia Influenza A&B FIA test
Input the User ID using the handheld barcode scanner or manually enter the data using the key pad.
Input the Patient ID using the handheld barcode scanner or manually enter the data using the key pad.
Press Start Test and the Sofia drawer will automatically open.
Verify that the correct mode, Walk Away or Read Now has been selected. Insert the cassette into the drawer. Then gently close the drawer.
Sofia will start automatically and display the progress. In Walk Away mode, the test results will be displayed on the screen in approximately 15 minutes. In Read Now mode, the test results will be displayed on the screen within 1 minute.